Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Would you rent a dress?



When I'm shopping, the price of the clothes can be justified by the combination of two factors: a) The quality, the design, the originality, and b) How much I'll wear it. It means that if I see a very beautiful and perfect dress that costs $400 and I'll only wear it once, I won't buy it (well, if it is not a bride gown...). I think that it would be an unnecessary purchase. But in special occasions we really like to wear a good dress, and let's face it, a really good dress is quite expensive (more expensive than the ones we could find at Zara).

The problem is that there comes a moment when we need more and better clothes. Zara is not enough and we start searching for better quality clothes made of finer fabrics and original cuts. A good alternative is the clothes rental. It sounds strange when you first hear it, but if you think about it, it's quite logical. You can have more variety of clothes, you don't have to pay the full price of the dress, and if you're only wearing it once, it's worth it. The truth is that when people began talking about accesories rental (handbags) I wasn't into it at all, but lately I've been thinking that I would actually consider hiring a dress for an special occasion.

The dress rental website I know is 24fab (from Spain). You choose a dress and they send it to you two days before your date. Then they pick it up the following day, after you've worn it. The prices range from $200 to $487 more or less, and if you like the dress you can buy it. I don't know if I'd pay $487 for a dress I'm not keeping, but a good dress for $200 is a quite adequate price.

What about you? Would you rent a dress? What price would you be willing to pay?

-----------------

Cuando voy de compras, el precio de una prenda puede ir justificada por la combinación dos factores: a) La calidad de la prenda, el diseño, la originalidad, y b) Cuánto la voy a usar. Es decir, si un vestido es precioso y perfecto, cuesta 400€ y sólo me lo voy a poner una vez, pues no me lo compro (bueno, sin contar los vestidos de novia). En mi opinión sería un gasto innecesario. Pero claro, para ocasiones especiales sí que gusta tener un buen vestido, y admitámoslo, un buen vestido va a ser caro (digamos que más caro que un vestido que podemos encontrar en Zara).

El problema viene cuando llega un momento en que necesitamos mejor y más ropa. Zara se nos queda pequeño y empezamos a buscar prendas de mejor calidad y más originales. Una buena alternativa es lo de alquilar vestidos. Suena extraño al principio, pero si lo piensas es bastante lógico. Puedes tener más variedad, no tienes que pagar el precio completo del vestido y si sólo te lo vas a poner para una ocasión especial, merece la pena. La verdad es que cuando se empezó a hablar del tema (alquiler de bolsos, etc), no me convencía nada, pero últimamente sí me plantearía alquilar un vestido para algún evento especial.

La página web que conozco que hace esto es
24fab. Tú escoges un vestido y ellos te lo envían a casa dos días antes de la ocasión en la que te lo quieres poner. Luego lo recogen al día siguiente. Los precios van de 145€ a 345€, y si te gusta el vestido lo puedes comprar. Yo no sé si pagaría 345€ por algo que no me voy a poder quedar, lo tendría que pensar mucho, pero un vestido bonito por 145€ no está del todo mal.

¿Qué os parece a vosotros? ¿Alquilaríais alguna vez un vestido? ¿Qué precio estaríais dispuestos a pagar?



Some examples of rentals from 24fab


Vintage:



But at the end...

credit

No comments:

Post a Comment