Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Priestess NYC + A moodboard

Priestess NYC


One of the things that I like the most about fashion is how much it can change with the years. I don't remember who said it, but I read a quote that said something like: "Fashion can't be considered as art at all. What kind of art has to be renovated every season and throw the old pieces away?" In some part it is right. Fashion has to be renovated, but it is not necessary to reject the old season clothes. Clothes from previous seasons can be re-worn in different ways and still be "in", don't you think?

Another thing that I also love about fashion is how varied it is. You can find all kinds of things. Do you want a pair of sunglasses with blinds that don't let you see anything? They do exist. Do you want a pair of stilettos with dead birds? You can have them. And what about a hat with a Lego piece? Yeah, someone sells them too. Quoting the fabulous Sofia Coppola: "You are considered superficial and and silly if you're interested in fashion, but I think that you can be serious and still be interested in frivolity". Fashion doesn't have to be a serious things. Just look at this print by Priestess NYC. It is kind of cute, even though I'm quite demanding when choosing a print for a cloth. There are few printed clothes that I really like, when they are not very expensive they are horrible, you can look like a tablecloth, a curtain or Julie Andrews in "The Sound of Music". In fact, if I look at my wardrobe, there is not almost a single piece of clothing with prints on it. Everything is made of plain colors.



The Mickey Mouse print is cute, but I prefer the non-printed pieces. The pink dress (top) has just the right tone of pink, and the short pink raincoat is lovely. I remember that I went to Zara last year and I saw a coat made of some kind of shiny black plastic, the coolest fabric I'd ever seen. I didn't buy it because I thought it was too flashy. I still regret not buying it. Note: If you like something, buy it (if it's not too expensive).

In Cody Ross's own words (designer), "Priestess is a cool/quirky/fun womenswear label emphasizing amazing construction + silhouettes and absurd+directional prints/cuts" and the main inspirations are abstract art, mathematics and ‘vintage-punk.’

Sounds too good, but it is true.


I NEED this dress. I love the open back.

pics by Enga Purevjav

------------------------

Una de las cosas que más me gustan de la moda es lo que puede cambiar con los años. No llego a recordar quién lo dijo, pero leí una frase que decía algo así como: "La moda no se puede considerar arte en absoluto. ¿Qué arte tiene que renovarse cada temporada y desechar lo anterior?" Por una parte tiene razón. La moda tiene que renovarse, pero no es necesario desechar lo anterior. Se puede reutilizar la ropa de temporadas pasadas de formas distintas y seguir estando a la última, ¿no os parece?

Otra de las cosas que más me gusta es la variedad que abarca la moda. Puedes encontrar de todo. ¿Que quieres gafas con rendijas que casi no dejan ver? Las hay. ¿Que quieres unos tacones con pájaros muertos en la punta? Los venden. ¿Y un sombrero con piezas de Lego? También. Citando a la maravillosa Sofia Coppola "Te consideran superficial y tonto si estás interesado por la moda, pero pienso que se puede ser serio y estar interesado por la frivolidad igualmente". La moda no tiene por qué ser algo serio. Sólo hay que ver este estampado tan genial de Priestess NYC. Tiene su gracia, eso que yo con los estampados soy bastante exigente. Hay muy pocas telas estampadas que realmente me gusten, las que son baratas son horribles, al menos las que yo encuentro en Zara, H&M y compañía. O pareces un mantel o unas cortinas, o Julie Andrews en Sonrisas y Lágrimas. De hecho, si abro mi armario, así a primera vista no tengo nada con estampado. Todo son colores lisos.

El estampado de Mickey de Priestess me parece gracioso, pero aún me gustan más sus prendas de telas lisas. El color rosa del primer vestido (arriba del todo) está justo al límite de ser demasiado rosa, y el abrigo estilo chubasquero me encanta. Recuerdo que el año pasado estuve a punto de comprarme un abrigo negro de una tela que parecía plástico brillante en negro que era una chulada. Me pareció demasiado llamativo y al final no me lo compré. Aún me arrepiento.
Nota: si algo te gusta, cómpralo (si no es demasiado caro).

En palabras de Cody Ross (diseñador de Priestess): "Priestess es una marca cool, divertida y atrevida para mujer, que enfatiza las mejores siluetas con estampados y cortes absurdos". Sus principales inspiraciones son el arte abstracto, las matemáticas y el punk vintage. Suena demasiado bueno, pero es verdad.

Moodboard

Handbags, purses and Umbrella from Lulu Guinness
Magdalena Frackowiak & dogs images from Vogue Paris June/July 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment